Pages

Saturday, September 23, 2006


Abigail's Story~ by Ann Burton

"I will love you, O Lord my strength. The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer; My God, my strenght in whom I trust; My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold."

~Psalms 18:1-2

I was recently asked to read this story by a friend, since I read fast, to let her know whether the book was good or not. So I thought I would share my thoughts with you even though this isn't the book I said I would read next.

This story was about the life of Abigail the second wife of David. I thought the story was entertaining, but some things bothered me. In the bible the account of Abigal referred to as the wife of Nabal is a very short one. The bible merely details David and Abigail's encounter when David angered by Nabal's refusal to give David and his men aid and sets off with his men to punish Nabal himself. David was angry because after guarding Nabal's flocks and protecting them from attacks Nabal refused to give David and his men food and responded to the request by insulting David. Abigail apologizes for her husband and brings food to them. She humbles herself and reminds David that he shouldn't avenge himself keeping him from shedding the blood of Nabal and his household. In the book Burton has Abigail and David meet before hand and fall in love. There were some other minor things that were different from the biblical account that kind of, in my opinion, took away from the story.

Some biblical fiction about women of the bible that I really enjoyed are the from the Lineage of Grace series by Francine Rivers. She tells the stories of Tamar, Rahab, Ruth, Bathsheba, and Mary. They are sooo good. She takes the biblical accounts and weaves a story that is not only entertaining, but spiritually uplifting. It causes you to examine you own life and faith and see the blessing of God's grace in the lives of the women who are a part of the lineage of our savior Jesus Christ. The names of the books in order are Unveiled, Unshaken, Unashamed, Unspoken, and Unafraid.

Enjoy! (oh and if you are reading the story of Mary have some tissues handy.....sniff)

No comments: