Pages

Thursday, September 07, 2006



"The Cubicle Next Door"~ by Siri L. Mitchell

"I will give thanks to You, O Lord my God, with all my heart, And will glorify Your name forever."
~Psalms 86:12

Usually I don't go for military stories, despite the fact that my father was in the navy. I find the stories sad and a little boring. When I ordered this book I was a little wary, since the story is about a woman who works on and airforce base, but since I like other books by the author I gave it a shot. I really liked the book. Jackie Harrison is the main character. She has had some bad things happen in her life which cause her to have certain views of life and love that are not necessarily healthy. Her world is rattled when a new office neighbor, Lt. Col. Joseph Gallagher, decides to challenge her carefully constructed outlook on life. As Joe begins to get under her skin Jackie chooses to vent her feelings in the form of a blog. Things start to get tricky when her blog is featured on TV and everyone including Joe starts to read it. The book was funny and at some times poignant.

One of my favorite parts of the book is when Jackie and Joe go church hunting. When my family moved into the area we had a hard time finding a church. One church had a minister that screamed into the microphone (in a very small room) and the worship music was blasted into huge speakers. Needless to say my entire family left with serious migranes. Other churches had services that lasted 3 hours long without much being said and more importantly with out really reading much from the bible. I could go on and on about the horrors of our church hunt, but I won't because we did eventually find a good bible preaching church which was all that we wanted in the first place.

If you are looking for another funny read about a woman who "blogs" read "Consider Lily"~ by Anne Dayton and May Vanderbuilt.

Next on my reading agenda~ "Design on a Crime" ~ by Ginny Aiken

2 comments:

Darlene Schacht said...

Hi, I'm popping through to approve you for the CWO blog ring. I almost rejected your site because you accidentally put in the URL blogpot instead of blogspot, and I landed up at a Christian website. I'm glad I noticed. :)

I'll add you tonight.

Anonymous said...

Hey, have you seen Chariots of fire? I know you probably have. I love the theme. I'm not sure if the christain song 'The Lord is my Savior' was written before or after the movie. My favorite part is when Eric Little was giving a sermon at the end of the movie with anchor verses from Isaiah 40:28-31

Have you not known? Have you not heard?
The everlasting God, the Lord,
The Creator of the ends of the earth,
Neither faints nor is weary.
His understanding is unsearchable.
He gives power to the weak,
And to those who have no might He increases strength;
They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
They shall run and not be weary,
They shall walk and not faint.
NKJV

Have you read any christian books that have a martial arts theme?